Mechanical Engineer – (MELBLS.2)
June 23, 2017
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
DEPARTMENT: Louis Berger Logistics Services
JOB SUMMARY: The Mechanical Engineer (ME) provides design engineering support to various construction management, programming/base development, and/or operations and maintenance (O&M) functions. As part of an Engineering Support team, the ME performs design work for new construction, renovation, and improvement projects for real property facilities, including utility systems, utilizing a professional knowledge of mechanical engineering. This position will be located at the Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs engineering design work for a wide variety of facilities and infrastructure projects including: earthwork; airfield and roadway pavement systems; high and low voltage electrical systems; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); water and sewage (plumbing); fire suppression; control and alarm systems; etc. which interface with other engineering specializations.
- Prepares conceptual studies and sketches that indicate pertinent design features, material, equipment, and specifications.
- Develops cost estimates and time schedules.
- Reviews and analyzes preliminary and final designs, plans, and specifications for technical efficiency and adequacy.
- Prepares necessary correspondence, technical reports, contract documents, fact sheets, and status reports and prepares or oversees the preparation of final construction drawings.
- Coordinates all design phases with appropriate managers and staff elements.
- Maintains current engineering data for assigned projects.
- Prepares architect and engineer (A&E) statements of work (SOW). Provides technical review of A&E design calculations, cost estimates, analyses, drawings, and specifications to ensure compliance with project requirements.
- Coordinates projects with engineers in other disciplines or with architects. Applies knowledge of other disciplines to determine coordination required to ensure all design considerations have been addressed.
- Maintains surveillance over construction contractors to ensure overall compliance with contracted specifications, schedules, etc. Assists in evaluating construction bids. Develops and/or reviews specifications and schedules for utility services for the construction period. Inspects and/or oversees inspection of construction.
- Performs a wide range of engineering duties surrounding O&M functions to encompass the maintenance, repair, upgrade, and operation of a variety of infrastructure facilities and utilities.
- Complies with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work in a manner that enhances the safety of the work environment. Ensures federal and local codes concerning health, safety, and environment are strictly adhered to in the programming, design, and construction of real property facilities.
- Understands and abides by the standards set forth for ethical behavior and integrity as detailed in the Louis Berger Code of Business Conduct.
- Performs all other duties prescribed by management and as indicated in the Performance Work Statement.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of design experience providing mechanical design services for facilities and infrastructure projects. Must demonstrate experience and be capable of providing mechanical design service including determination of HVAC loads, equipment selection, duct sizing and routing, interior plumbing design, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering not required, but strongly preferred.
- Proficient in computers and software programs (e.g. Microsoft Office, AutoCADD, Microsoft Project, etc.) Must have the capability to perform basic functions (ex. manipulate drawings, site/floor plans) in AutoCAD 2007 or equivalent.
- Be capable of completing design planning, initial cost estimates, design reviews, and construction support for approximately 2 projects per year over $700,000. Design, cost estimate, and construction support for approximately 10 projects per year under $700,000.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and be able to effectively and tactfully communicate with many levels of personnel in a variety of environments.
- May be working in a multicultural environment where knowledge of local customs and laws would be required.
- Must pass medical requirements testing and be willing to live and operate in a military contingency environment.
- Must possess or be able to obtain the following;
- U.S. Secret Security Clearance.
- A valid US driver’s license.
- A valid US passport.
- Country visa (as required in line with the U.S. Department of State Foreign Clearance Guide).
- An international driver’s license and capability of obtaining a USAF flight line driver’s license.