Construction Claims Specialist
New York, NY
December 7, 2017
The Construction Program Management division of Louis Berger has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Construction Claims Specialist to work on site at the World Trade Center.
This position will be a specialist in claims management, assessment methodologies and claim resolution strategies providing verbal and written advice and recommendations. The candidate will be tasked with assessing damages related to delays, acceleration and extensions of time such as extended general conditions, escalation, home office overhead, and loss of productivity. Additional responsibilities will include to:
- Perform independent claims review and determinations and conduct detailed CPM schedule delay analysis.
- Analyze base-line schedules against an executed schedule to determine the accuracy of the claim and any delay impact upon the schedule.
- Analyze all alleged delay impact and determine whether caused by the contractor or other principal parties.
- Analyze escalation costs caused by labor wage rate increases and material increases.
- Present analysis and advice regarding claim issues including schedule delay, productivity, labor and material escalation, design issues, and contract interpretation for use in negotiations with contractors and other parties.
- Closely liaise with directors, managers, their staff and other specialists, and contractors to develop claims resolution strategies.
- Provide advice across a wide range of concurrent projects encompassing civil, MEP works and other specialist systems contracts.
- Prepare reports, graphics, correspondence, and abstracts of contracts.
- Present findings and opinions in an adversarial setting.
- Conduct weekly visits to the construction site.
- Participate in Contract close-out process.
- Attend and conduct meetings with all levels of managers and contractors.
- Maintain a diplomatic demeanor in a highly stressful environment with a variety of stakeholders and clients, internal and external.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management, or related degree from an accredited university. Advanced degree preferred.
- US Citizenship or Green Card and ability to get a security clearance required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in construction claims work.
- Live within commuting distance to Downtown Manhattan. Local experience is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, project management software, Primavera P6 and/or other industry related software.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English. Candidates selected for an interview are asked to bring examples of past written work product to the interview.
- Knowledge and experience relating to delay analysis techniques and methodologies, calculating and analyzing productivity losses, ability to interpret contracts and specifications and ability to interpret architectural/engineering drawings.