Deputy Project Manager
November 14, 2017
The Deputy Project Manager will coordinate construction contractor, inspection, and testing activities on a heavy civil reconstruction project in the Austin, Texas area. Provides management skill in controlling costs and maintaining overall profitability for project. Assures all production work is performed in accordance with TxDOT-approved plans, specifications, and estimates. Continually monitors work progress and quality of work. Maintains project progress and costs data to assist in analyzing work earned value. Inspects work activities and advises of possible hazards and project delivery issues. Ensures all project personnel are maintaining a safe work environment. Regularly leads project meetings to coordinate future project activities and assure continued productivity. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for monitoring costs and maintaining budget for the project, utilizing extensive heavy construction experience.
- Oversee construction activity, engineering, and other field project support activities.
- Supervises the development of project schedules and monitors contractor production to assure timely project completion.
- Reviews cost reports and makes analysis to assist in reducing costs and maintaining productivity.
- Conducts regular project inspections and advises project team of work progress, quality of work and conditions requiring attention regarding safety.
- Coordinates work with contractors and consultants to ensure all work is within project plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E).
- Reviews daily reports, quantity calculations, and reports prepared by contractors and consultants.
- Prepares project status/progress reports, project correspondence, and payment estimates.
- Assists in the preparation and negotiation of agreed prices and construction change orders.
- Provide constructability feedback to stakeholders.
- Ensures compliance with SH130 Facility Concession Agreement (FCA) and Facility Management Plan (FMP).
- Coordinates with engineers, inspectors, and TxDOT/FHWA representatives to identify project challenges and assist in developing solutions.
- Regularly conducts safety meetings and provide guidance to contractors and consultants in addressing areas and conditions requiring attention.
- Continually monitors project to assure company and regulatory procedures (quality, safety, environmental ) are adhered to.
- Monitors project purchasing activities to assure quality material and timely delivery at competitive costs.
- Conducts regular meetings with project leadership to review project progress and to plan future construction activity.
- Ensures contractors and consultants comply with traffic control plans and procedures.
- Assumes the responsibilities of the project manager in his/her absence.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or similar discipline is required. Strong leadership skills; team-builder. Texas PE license preferred
- 10-15 years previous heavy civil construction management experience
- 5-10 years TxDOT highway/tollway construction management experience
- Experience on highway reconstruction is desired
- Medium to Large heavy highway, road project experience ($50M+) is required
- Knowledge of the local construction environment and geotechnical conditions is required; experience east of Interstate 35 is desired (clay soils)
- Strong leadership skills, team builder with the ability to prioritize and organize with a strong attention to detail
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft (Word/Excel) and Primavera (P6) programs
- A proven track record of organizing contractor and consultant work forces to accomplish project goals
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well-rounded base of knowledge in highway construction disciplines